An InfoCepts advisory team consisting of cloud architects and technology experts defined a strategy to migrate the company’s sales analytics systems. Leveraging InfoCepts’ Cloud Roadmap for Analytics (CRA) framework—a three-step Define, Design, Devise process—they quickly laid out a comprehensive strategy. Customer apprehension now allayed, the team subsequently implemented its transformation roadmap.
Our team focused on firming up objectives, business and technology drivers, and transformation scope—in addition to benchmarking cost and performance of the existing system.
InfoCepts identified such critical success factors as cost optimization, portability (limiting lockdown), operational efficiency (supporting iterative deployments), minimal disruption, better performance, reliability, and security.
As part of the design phase, we evaluated potential architecture approaches—single cloud, multi-cloud, hybrid cloud—that met identified objectives and requirements. Cloud platforms such as Azure and AWS were compared before selecting the latter as the platform of choice. We assessed migration strategies such as lift-and-shift, rearchitecting as cloud-native, and replatforming. In the end, our customer favored rearchitecting for the initial phase while considering replatforming (where needed) in the future.
InfoCepts executed multiple proof of concepts on AWS before establishing S3 suitability for the primary data store, EMR for data processing, and data access using HIVE and Athena. Our capacity planning templates helped define the business case with respect to future capacity estimates and budgets.
Here our team estimated the migration efforts, developed a project plan with high-level timelines and estimated a five-year TCO view. We held multiple discussions with key stakeholders to refine the plan before finalizing the roadmap. This resulted in the following customer benefits:
- Enabled the customer to embark on the cloud-first strategy with confidence
- Leadership alignment on the long-term vision paved the way for smooth change management
- Received a clear vision of expected costs and effort savings to assist in securing budgets
Other important takeaways from our advisory included:
- Secondary research and initial architecture choice analysis helped save time and costs while providing a thorough analysis
- Multiple POCs run on AWS and shortlisted tools helped surface constructive issues and assisted in a “get it right the first time” implementation
- Building a clear business case with cost and benefit estimates helped establish success criteria, constraints, and design considerations for execution and architecting strategy
Over eight months InfoCepts partnered with our client to realize its roadmap. During implementation, we migrated five data products and more than a petabyte of data sourced from 40+ sources. And project completion met the planned timeline despite last-minute changes introduced by CCPA compliance requirements and the COVID-19 impact.
Subsequently, using the Cloud Cost Monitor (CCM) accelerator, the InfoCepts team optimized our customer’s monthly cloud spend by more than 40% (from $140k to $80k per month). Our team utilized the spend monitoring dashboard which unified spend related data across cloud and PaaS services to provide actionable insights for monitoring and optimizing spend. CCM also provided real-time visibility into spend by project which enabled our customer to make chargeback, resource optimization, and budget decisions with ease.